[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM)

Iain Shigeoka iain at jivesoftware.com
Wed Sep 17 05:21:33 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 12:43 US/Pacific, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Version 0.8 of JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM) is now available. The changelog is
> as

Hi,

We recently stumbled across an XHTML issue regarding entities. I think
it will be common for people to assume since they see 'XHTML' in the
standard, that the XHTML predefined entities will be valid and even
preferred.

However, use of XHTML entities in an XMPP stream is not valid XML. It
breaks a MUST rule of the XML spec (section 4 of xml 1.0) regarding
entities that aren't defined before use. in addition, it further
violates a 'MUST NOT' XMPP specification by implicitly bringing in new
character entities (section 9.1 of XMPP core).

I was wondering if an implementation note should be added warning
against the use of XHTML predefined entities (beyond the 5 XML entities
that are defined for XML (< > & " '). Instead
implementors should be encouraged to encode characters that aren't of
the predefined 5 using a character reference instead (see section 4.1
of the XML 1.0 specification). These encodings are of the form &#;
where the # is the hex value of the character from the ISO/IEC 10646
character set and is valid XML in XMPP, and valid XHTML.

-iain