[Standards-JIG] SPAM Filtering JEP

Mark Derricutt mark at talios.com
Wed Apr 14 08:56:42 UTC 2004

'lo all, this is just a short note to intro myself and mention a JEP
proposal I'm starting ( hopefully I'll have something fleshed out enough to
post to the list as an early early draft soon ).

Anyway, who am I?  I'm Mark Derricutt, 29, developer/coder geek living in
Auckland New Zealand, currently doing Java based SMS messaging systems, and
advocating Jabber as much as can whereever I go.

So whats the JEP I'm formulating in my head?  SPAM / SPAM Filtering.

I've not seen spam much on Jabber myself, but had ALOT of it on ICQ years
ago, and recently a series of articles have been published talking on the
rise of IM based spam, which got me thinking...

So far I'm touching any XML messaging details such as <x> element here or
there untill I've got a more clearer idea of what I actually think should
be doable.

The basics so far for a first step:

  - a standard way for a client to be told that an IM may be spam
  - a standard way for a client to tell a server that an IM was/was not spam

Is there an interest in this JEP out there?

Mark

violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Mark Derricutt   ---   mark@ talios.com   ---   http://www.talios.com