[Standards-JIG] Comments of JEP-0073: Basic IM Protocol Suite (from a mobile client perspective)

Tony Cheung tony.cheung at asiayeah.com
Sun Apr 25 02:50:20 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a few comments on the JPEG-0073, especially from a mobile client
perspective.

The protocol suite include the In-Band Registration for registering
with servers and services. It is rather common that a mobile client
does not provide the capability to create new user accounts, register
with another server or services. Some mobile clients only provide the
very very basic IM functions and assume the users will use a more basic
IM client on another environment such as Windows or Linux.

The same maybe true for Service Discovery.

Honestly, I am mostly speaking from my mobile client, Chatopus, which
is running on the Palm OS platform. It does not provide in-band
registration and service discovery currently, as it assumes those
functionalities are best represented from a desktop client. Development
costs on a mobile client is sometimes simply higher than a desktop
client, (due to the development tools), and most mobile clients need to
be very selective on their feature sets.

We may need a few more differentiations between mobile and a desktop IM
client for the JEP-0073.

Thanks.

Regards,
Tony Cheung