[Standards-JIG] Comments of JEP-0073: Basic IM Protocol Suite (from a mobile client perspective)

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Sun Apr 25 07:05:22 UTC 2004

While I agree that In-Band Registration may not be necessary for a
mobile client, I'd really like to see Service Discovery everywhere.
It's not that much extra effort to at least /respond/ to service
discovery requests.

In-Band Registration is still something I'd like to see covered by
having a really good, well-thought-out registration site (perhaps run
through jabber.org) to allow new users to set up accounts from their
web browser. By running some form of backend application which support
registration from the web site, the users don't even need to download
clients to get their account set up on /any/ server which has open
registration.

I call BS on the "Development costs on a mobile client is sometimes
simply higher than a desktop client" part of the argument, too. There
are Open Source development tools available for Palm development.
Mobile clients in general don't have as many features so there is less
to develop. Windows development tools are pretty expensive and they
don't complain much. Development costs aren't a good excuse for leaving
out something as simple as Service Discovery. I just want to be able to
query any given connection and be able to reasonably expect a response.
Your client costs $15, I think you can manage a very basic Service
Discovery response.

Julian