[Standards-JIG] Call for Experience: JEP-0077 (In-Band Registration)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Mon Apr 26 09:02:55 UTC 2004

On Sunday 25 April 2004 8:31 pm, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> 1. Who has implemented JEP-0077? I realize that the list is probably
> quite long, since in-band registration has been around for a long time
> and is considered a fairly "core" feature, but a list of implementations
> would be appreciated. (But probably I can just go to the software pages
> at <http://www.jabber.org/software/> for a list.)

I've implemented it in Psi, for registration and even unregistration of new
Jabber accounts and services.

> 2. Have implementers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in JEP-0077? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

I have not found any problems.

> 3. Is the text of JEP-0077 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> necessary? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have implementers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

From Section 3:

"Support for in-band registration is OPTIONAL for service implementations but
REQUIRED for server implementations in order to comply with the Basic IM
Protocol Suite."

I really wish this protocol would go the way of the dodo, but it seems I don't
have to argue for that as Section 11 already sets an expiration date.  In any
case, I think that this feature should definitely not be required for server
implementations.

I propose that the quoted statement be removed from the JEP, as it makes a
claim about JEP-0073 that is not set in stone.  I also don't think that a
Draft or Final JEP should be making reference to an Experimental JEP.

-Justin