[Standards-JIG] Dead participants in MU-conf, JEP-0045

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Dec 15 14:57:41 UTC 2004

Is it not possible for your s2s to solve this?  Just periodically reconnect to
all the servers that have supposedly delivered online presence, and maybe
even issue a presence probe (which should work for directed presence in the
case of MUC, right?).  If the server is not responding, your side will know
it, and you can delete the participant.

True, it is possible for the other server to be confused about the state of
his own participant, and might respond to the presence probe with a
successful online state when the contact is really a zombie.  But the TCP
timeout of that c2s connection will eventually inform the server of the true
state.  Yes, it is a long time, generally 20 minutes or so, but at least it
will be resolved.  It is s2s that up until now had no resolution, but you can
solve this one on your side.

-Justin