[Standards-JIG] Refactor: Converting a One-to-One Chat into a Conference (JEP-0045)

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Sun Dec 19 00:25:16 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:35, JD Conley wrote:
> The RECOMMENDED process for creating the room name is as follows:
> "[first person JID node]_[current local unix time]_[creation attempt]".
> For example, a room created by "crone1 at shakespeare.lit/desktop" on
> 1/1/2005 at 00:00:00 SHOULD first attempt to create a room named
> "crone1_1104537600_1". The first person's client MUST generate a new
> unique room name if the name they have chosen is already in use and
> continue this process until the room is created, the process is canceled
> by the user, or a timeout period elapses.

Perhaps it would make sense to use the full JID in the room name to make it
even more unique.  That way, the only way it can fail is if the same user
attempts to create two rooms within one second.

I know that it's pretty unlikely for two users with the same node and
different domains, to create a chat room on a server at the same time, but
perhaps there would be other benefits to using the full JID in there, e.g.
users who get invited into the room could see exactly who started it.

Or maybe seeing who started it is a bad thing (privacy?)  Perhaps the full
string should be SHA-1'd for paranoia compliance.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/