[standards-jig] LAST CALL: JEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Feb 5 19:17:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:55:52PM -0500, Nathan Walp wrote:

> The way things are currently, sending state ACTIVE can mean one of two
> things:
>
> 1. Romeo has paused typing  (maybe he forgot how to spell Capulet)
> 2. Romeo decided that he wants to hear Juliet's response before seding
> anything else, so he erases everything in his client's entry widget
>
> Since Juliet's client has no way of knowing which of these events has
> occurred, so the best thing for her client to do is to pretend the
> second possibility happened.  With a PAUSED state, her client could know
> that Romeo is just pausing (or a reeeally slow typer) and that she
> should expect to see a message relatively soon.
>
> Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Sorry for the tardy reply, IETF stuff has been keeping me busy.

I'm not opposed to the PAUSED state, since it does have a different
meaning than ACTIVE.

Also we may need to remove some of the GUI-ish language, because IIRC
Julian Missig and others objected to the implication that if you close
your chat window, the session is over (I close chat windows all the time
just to save screen real estate, that doesn't mean I consider the chat
to be over).

I'll try to discuss this with my co-author and push out an updated
version in the next few days (might not happen until Monday given that I
have an IETF deadline first thing Monday morning).

Jabber Software Foundation