[Standards-JIG] JEP-0045 (MUC) - IQ Stanza Semantics

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Feb 18 00:14:31 UTC 2004

> > Yes, XMPP Core IS a dependency.  That doesn't automatically mean the
> > protocol that is built on it is compliant.  I just assumed that if it
> > caught me off guard, even though I know how it's supposed to work (and
> > how existing implementations DO work), then it wouldn't be obvious to
> > someone who knows a lot less about the protocols.
>
> People need to read the specs. If someone has gotten as far as attempting
> to implement an advanced protocol like JEP-0045 and has not read the XMPP
> specification, then they need to go back and understand the fundamentals.
> The core specifications are there for a reason.

Yes, but what do you respond with?  IQ is request/response.  It is not enough
for a specification to define just one or the other.  It must define both.
Even if the response provides no useful information, it should still be
documented as such.

XMPP-IM has the right idea.  In Section 8.1: "A client MUST acknowledge each
roster push with an IQ stanza of type "result" (for the sake of brevity,
these stanzas are not shown in the following examples but are required by the
IQ semantics defined in [XMPP-CORE])"

-Justin