[Standards-JIG] more on social networking

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 19:50:07 UTC 2004

> And we still need to work on "shared rosters" within organizations or
> communities (join the company and everyone is in your roster; Bob in
> marketing gets fired and he's gone from everyone's rosters; etc.). I say
> that's a more important priority than the "find a friend" stuff for now.

This posting is for information only, perhaps it will spark some ideas. I'm
not suggesting this is how we should proceed:

We are currently implementing a custom solution to this problem based on
roster item exchange (JEP-0093). I confess that we extended the JEP with a
new type='remove' to allow for contact removal 'suggestions'. In this case
we have customised the client to automatically accept changes to the roster
proposed by the super-jid "admin at foo.bar". For all other jids, the client
asks the user before changing the roster.