[standards-jig] extending disco#info result

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Feb 25 10:00:46 UTC 2004

> > I disagree.. I client which wants to provide a generic GUI would have to
> > understand ALL possible namespaces. By using x-data, we provide a
generic
> > mechanism. As Ian mentioned, the identity information for an entity
provides
> > sufficient contextual information to give meaning to the data.
> >
> > If we use seperate namespaces, clients have NO shot at building a GUI
which
> > will work as new adaptations of this idea unfold. We should always make
sure
> > what we do is future-proofed.

But if clients do not already understand this extension should they be
displaying any of this anyway??
Is there any real value in displaying this in a generic GUI without first
understanding what this data is and how to handle it, and if clients are
coded to specifically understand what should be done with the data then
there is no difference between understanding the custom namespace. The
custom namespace has the benefit of not confusing things by being displayed
by a client that does not understand it and is far simpler to process and
just seems more in keeping with the way extensions are normally done.

Richard