[Standards-JIG] Relation of JEP-0080: User Geolocation and ietf-geopriv?

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 04:59:37 UTC 2004

I don't *like* the syntax particularly:

<gml:coordinates>31:56:00S 115:50:00E</gml:coordinates>

Grumble.  If only we had a parser handy that had some sort of regular
syntax, so we didn't have to write a parser for every kind of data
format.  Oh, we do.  Well, then if only we could format our data so
that the parser we have could parse it.

<cl:civilAddress>
  <cl:country>US</cl:country>
  <cl:A1>New York</cl:A1>
  <cl:A3>New York</cl:A3>
  <cl:A6>Broadway</cl:A6>
  <cl:HNO>123</cl:HNO>
  <cl:LOC>Suite 75</cl:LOC>
  <cl:PC>10027-0401</cl:PC>
</cl:civilAddress>

I understand that not everyone lives in a State, or has a ZipCode
(tm).  A6 seems a little bit *too* abstract.  I wish there was
something in the middle.

All of that being said, I'm willing to use it.  The prefix stuff can
be put into our default namespace approach, and still be valid.  All
that would be needed is a light pub/sub-ification, and we should be
good to go.

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:18:05 +0200, Heiner Wolf <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just read on the IETF list:
> The IESG has received a request from the Geographic Location/Privacy WG to consider the following document: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-pidf-lo-02.txt
>
> What is the status of JEP-0080?
> Is there any relation between JEP-0080 and ietf-geopriv?
> Is JEP-0080 written knowing ietf-geopriv or the reverse?
>
> Without knowing either well, I wonder if the IETF work could just be copied or referenced.
>
> hw
> --
> Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
> bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG