[Standards-JIG] XMPP bandwidth compression

Fletcher, Boyd C. J9C534 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Tue Jul 6 23:35:22 UTC 2004

see my earlier email. When using XMPP on the Internet, compression isn't generally needed (until we start getting into interesting things like whiteboarding), but as soon as you take XMPP off the Internet and onto networks with low bandwidth ( less than 9.6 Kb/s) and high latency (satellite) then we start running into problems. Both of these are where IRC excels. However IRC lacks extensibility (not XML based, changes require a new RFC), has essentially no concept of security, and isn't scalable (each server needs to know about all the other servers).

> 2/ If need be, we have some technologies at hand that can be
> applied immediately and if the JSF want to spend some time
> laying a version 1 framework for it, the proposal should be
> aligned with the current XMPP best practices as standardized
> at the IETF (see Joe's approach for this)

+1