[Standards-JIG] Proposed Changes to JEP-60 - PubSub

Fletcher, Boyd C. J9C534 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Wed Jun 2 02:09:32 UTC 2004

then it's a useless protocol because, developers have to implement a new custom pubsub service for every new service. That just doesn't make any sense. You should not have to do that. It's a duplication of effort and wasteful. If we have a feature complete PubSub specification, a single implementation would be all that is required. This is the same approach used for the development of GUIs.

> This functionality is a basis of such new protocols as
> publishing avatars, or song information, or headlines events.
> There are JEPs for this, that contains these MUSTs you want.
> If you limit functionality of the base protocol they use -

We are not limiting the functionality of the base protocol. We are significantly enhancing it by specifying how it behaves in a predictable, well understood manner. So that clients can implement User Moods, Headline news, avatars, etc.... WITHOUT having to have a specific custom PubSub implementation on EVERY server you have an account on.