[Standards-JIG] Datagram Sessions

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Jun 2 07:17:43 UTC 2004

Alright here it is in JEP form:

  http://delta.affinix.com/specs/jep-datagrams.html

Just a brief recap: This is a JEP to facilitate transmission of UDP packets
between JIDs either directly or proxied, useful for things like RTP.  Just as
JEP-65 is not raw TCP, this JEP is not raw UDP (there is a header).  Read the
introduction for details.

Notes:

This is a serious cut-and-paste effort.  I made it by starting with JEP-65 and
modifying it as necessary.  I'm not sure what to do about crediting the
original authors.  I don't know if they want to be listed as authors on this
JEP, but the majority of the text wasn't from me so they should be listed at
least somewhere probably.

I did find quite a few errors in JEP-65 while doing this, and we really should
example, Datagram Sessions doesn't contain a "Formal Use Case" section
because the one in JEP-65 was confusing and/or wrong and I didn't care to
figure it out yet. :)

Obviously, there is a ton of overlap between these two JEPs, and we might want
to do something about this.  One idea is to have the datagrams JEP "assume"
the reader has read JEP-65, so that it doesn't have to be quite so verbose
about things.  As it stands, I find myself looking back and forth between
both JEPs to ensure they have identical formatting and structure, which can
only serve to drive the author batty.  In programming, we'd say, "time to
make a class."

-Justin