[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: User Nickname

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Sun Jun 6 12:20:11 UTC 2004

> >> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:26:25PM -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> >> Agree.  We have <NICKNAME> in vcard-temp now, and there should be
> >> something
> >> in the pub/sub vcard-temp replacement that does the same thing.
> >
> > I think the idea is not the nickname as we know it in vcard, a more or
> > less
> > static value, but more like how many (young?) people use nicknames on
> > MSN. That
> > might be more appropriate outside vcard like things, and more
> > comparable to
> > user mood, user activity, etc.
>
> No, I understand that, but I still think that it's a lot of network
> activity just for that. Especially since many clients (mine) probably
> won't actually be displaying these dynamic nicknames in lots of places
> anyway..

Thats why it uses pubsub rather than being a presence extension, so that
only people who want to receive the information will get it (i.e. the people
who subscribe), and it is not forced upon anyone like yourself if you dont
want it. If you think its a lot of network activity then I suggest you
contact the pubsub JEP authors as it just uses pubsub as I understand it and
the level of traffic is a result of that JEP not this one, and if you think
it is such a serious problem for this nickname JEP then it will likely be
just as much of a problem for any future JEP's that use pubsub.

Richard