[Standards-JIG] JEP-0065: proxy query response

Dave Smith dizzyd at jabber.org
Mon Jun 7 19:01:38 UTC 2004

> Section 4.4 of JEP-0065 describes how proxies communicate their
> network address.  Example 8 says:
>
>         <iq
>             type='result'
>             from='proxy.host3'
>             to='initiator at host1/foo'
>             id='discover'>
>           <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/bytestreams'>
>             <streamhost
>                 jid='proxy.host3'
>                 host='24.24.24.1'
>                 zeroconf='_jabber.bytestreams'/>
>           </query>
>         </iq>
>
> It is not explicitly stated that the from attribute of the iq node and
> the jid attribute of the streamhost node must be the same.  Is that
> intentional?  I can imagine a proxy doing load balancing using this
> feature.

There is no required correlation between the from attribute and the jid
attribute. The discovery process is orthogonal to the interaction with the
streamhost.

> Could this response contain several streamhost tags, just like some
> clients advertise both internal and external IP address (as in example
> 11)?

Yes, the response could contain as many streamhost tags as the proxy
desires -- perhaps most useful for multi-homed hosts.

Hope that helps,

D.