[Standards-JIG] NEW: File Sharing

Dudley Carr dudley at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 7 19:37:35 UTC 2004

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Version 0.1 of JEP-0135 (File Sharing) is now available; this JEP
> defines "a simple extension to existing protocols for file sharing
> over Jabber":
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0135.html
>
> Peter

I really like the file sharing JEP, but with one reservation. File sharing uses
the tree file to send a directory structure in bulk. I thought that this was
pretty clever optimization. Unfortunately, the schema for the tree file
structure doesn't include meta information about the files inside of the tree
structure. So, if you wanted to know anything more than just the name of the
file, you'd have to disco#info each of the files.

This solution would be great if file names were all you wanted to know, but if
you need to present more information than just the file name then it's
practically unworkable.

I guess this isn't really a problem with JEP-135, but rather with JEP-105. It
would be great if JEP-105 file element could have data forms as a child similar
to what's done with Service Discovery Extensions.