[Standards-JIG] NEW: Message Archiving

David Yitzchak Cohen lists+jabber_standards at bigfatdave.com
Wed Jun 9 23:43:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 05:37:50AM EDT, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2004 1:31 am, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:21:49PM -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 08 June 2004 3:06 am, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> > > Should we differentiate a collection of "normal" messages vs a collection
> > > of "chat" messages?  I suppose we could, but I was thinking 'chat' could
> > > mean any kind of two-party discussion.  In that case, the types wouldn't
> > > exactly match that of xmpp.
> >
> > Use of the same message types as in XMPP makes protocol simpler and more
> > intuitive. That is always good.
>
> When it makes sense to use them, then yes.  However, this may not be such a
> case.  If the collection is of type "chat", does this mean that all content
> of the collection is assumed to be message of type=chat?

Well, if you're going to label collections, you're basically forcing their
content to be homogenius.  We had the same issue with JIDs already.  (My
personal vote is not to label at all - people can search for collections
containing anything they want if we have a powerful searching protocol.)

> I'll throw a wrench into this mess by suggesting that we might want to be able
> to log non-message items in a collection, such as presence changes.

In that case, perhaps the JEP's name should be changed to reflect that
new goal. . .

IMHO, that's a very neat idea, being able to log presences and iqs
(and roster entries too, while we're at it - imagine a conversation
with a guy who doesn't even exist anymore).  It'll allow your JEP to
provide the back-end for histories that clients can transparently share.
(In other words, when you have two clients open and you're switching
back and forth between them during a chat, they can actually update your
chat windows in both of them automatically - kinda like what my Jabbin'
proxy was supposed to do (never actually did for more than a couple of
days between crashes - kinda sad for what was intended to be the most
stable Jabber client on Earth), but far more powerful.)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel