[Standards-JIG] NEW: Message Archiving

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Jun 10 00:40:47 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 4:43 pm, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 05:37:50AM EDT, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > I'll throw a wrench into this mess by suggesting that we might want to be
> > able to log non-message items in a collection, such as presence changes.
>
> In that case, perhaps the JEP's name should be changed to reflect that
> new goal. . .
>
> IMHO, that's a very neat idea, being able to log presences and iqs
> (and roster entries too, while we're at it - imagine a conversation
> with a guy who doesn't even exist anymore).

The way I see it, presence events would only be interesting if they pertain to
a particular chat.  So if I chat with you, and you change your status a few
times while the collection of our chat is "open", then those changes would be
logged.  But if I never talk to anyone that day, then all the presence
activity wouldn't be logged at all, at least not to a "message archive"
collection.

Presence changes are notably interesting in groupchat, else you don't know
when someone has entered or left the room.

I don't think iq should be logged in a collection like this.  If we do want to
log other events, for example file transfers, then I think we should have
specific elements for these situations.

-Justin