[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Tue Jun 15 12:17:12 UTC 2004

There seemed to be in the past a way to provide a reason for
subscription/unsubscription using the <status> tag. However, in XMPP-IM,
it is stated that it should only be allowed for historical reasons:

" ...
(note that the <status/> child MAY be sent in a presence stanza of type
"unavailable" or, for historical reasons, "subscribe")
..."

I am not very concerned about being "historical" unless it gets
deprecated soon, so:
- Is there a more up-to-date way to specify a reason for
subscription/unsubscription ?
- Has someone plans to define something ?

I think it may be worth defining something because right now some
clients support it (gabber, tkabber) and others don't (exodus, psi).

David Corvoysier

PS: Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it in
the archives