[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Fri Jun 25 05:17:04 UTC 2004

Stephen Pendleton wrote:
> To state the obvious: you would need to add another stanza
> to the subscription request in order to do this.
> <presence to='juliet at example.com' type='subscribe'> <message>Hi, its
> Romeo - I'm dying to talk to you</message> </presence>
	If you do something like this, I think it would make sense to
try to make it look as much as possible like setting subscription
options using JEP-0060 PubSub. i.e. use "<options>", etc.
	The presence protocol is, in many ways, just a specialized form
of the general pubsub pattern. It makes sense, I think, to keep the two
as close as possible without losing whatever special nature that
presence might have. (i.e. it is a bit more light-weight for normal
presence operations given that it specialized for the common presence
publishing case.)
	I think that if JEP-0060 had been defined prior to the
definition of presence, it is entirely possible that presence would look
very much like a profile on JEP-0060...

	bob wyman