[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: Comments on latest draft.

Fletcher, Boyd C. J9C534 Boyd.Fletcher at je.jfcom.mil
Fri Jun 25 13:46:25 UTC 2004

We still have problems with section "11.3 Node and item id uniqueness". its ambiguous. I suggest we revise it so say:

NodeIDs and ItemIDs MUST be treated as unique identifiers. NodeIDs and ItemIDs can only contain characters that are valid for JIDs. Implementations must have three methods to resolve NodeID and ItemID conflicts that are selectable by the client when creating the first node as part of the create request. These are:

1)	OVERWRITE_ALLOWED=False  - The first publish succeeds, and others with the same ID fail. This is default behavior if OVERWRITE_ALLOWED is not specified.

<create node="generic/pgm-mp3-player" OVERWRITE_ALLOWED="false" APPEND="false" />

2)	OVERWRITE_ALLOWED=True - All publishes succeed, each one overwriting the older item.

<create node="generic/pgm-mp3-player" OVERWRITE_ALLOWED="true" APPEND="false" />

3)	APPEND - A new node/item is created with monotonically increasing number appended to the nodeID/itemID but separated by an underscore. APPEND is false by default. The original node would be:

<create node="generic/pgm-mp3-player" OVERWRITE_ALLOWED="false" APPEND="false" />

And the duplicate node would be

<create node="generic/pgm-mp3-player_1" OVERWRITE_ALLOWED="false" APPEND="false" />

Item identifiers MUST be treated as unique within the scope of the node. NodeID + ItemID MUST be unique within a given service, and MUST specify a single published item to a single node..