[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: Comments on latest draft.

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Fri Jun 25 20:55:19 UTC 2004

Boyd Fletcher wrote:
> trying to drum up support for XMPP in DOD.
	If you want DOD to support XMPP, I think you're going to have to
describe how XMPP fits into the Global Information Grid (GIG) see:
(http://ges.dod.mil/).
	Also, you should take a look at a number of the "competing" pubsub
protocols and systems in DOD today. For instance, I sent info on the Air
Force's JBI program to the list a few days ago. Currently, JBI relies on the
CAPI[2] interface which is completely Java-centric and assumes the
capabilities of a Java stack. One useful step would be to get Air Force to
go to the effort of mapping CAPI onto JEP-0060 as a transport protocol. It
is somewhat disgraceful that Air Force would be putting so much effort into
defining their stuff on a proprietary (SUN-defined) interface when open
source, openly defined, tools that meet all COTS requirements are available.

		bob wyman

[1] http://www.rl.af.mil/programs/jbi/default.cfm
[2] http://www.infospherics.org/