[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Mar 16 14:46:57 UTC 2004

> On Monday Jacek wrote:
> > When we have no information in disco#items result but the JID/node, that
> > we need in most cases query all of the nodes with disco#info - making
> > a lot of unneccessary trafic. When the name is given, than user can
> > choose element he wants to know something more about. IMHO 'name'
> > attribute should stay.
>
> I strongly agree with both these ideas. :)
>
> IMHO each disco#items request should be able to indicate the level of
detail
> it requires in the results. The default level (for 'ignorant' clients)
would
> be just the JID (no name). The 'verbose' level would include the name and
> any other information that differentiates the service (e.g. the number of
> occupants in a MUC room). This would allow 'knowledgable' clients to avoid
> unneccessary traffic, latency and complexity.

That is not what he meant at all, again you seem to have misunderstood what
Disco is and what it is intended to solve, he was not suggesting eliminating
the disco#info requests entirely, I suggest you read the JEP again, what you
suggest is basically a big step backwards to the way "jabber:iq:browse"
works, I suggest you either use disco properly or use jabber:iq:browse as
that seems to be what you seem to want.

Richard