[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0111 (TINS)

Joe Hildebrand jhildebrand at jabber.com
Wed Mar 17 16:10:17 UTC 2004

> As you said, I think we both agree that this iteration of the JEP is
> more focussed on the gateway case, and that SIP requires a _lot_ of
> protocol exchanges. But maybe we should follow one of the Jabber rule
> (simple client/complex server), and leave all the SIP complexity up to
> the gateway ?

I think that's probably a good direction to think about, but I'd like
it to still be pretty straightforward to write a gateway, and I'd like
to make sure we take the lessons already learned in the SIP community.

> At the opposite is another option: to switch directly to oob SIP when
> you want to talk to a SIP client. But this is more related to the
> points
> raised by Damon.

I really hope this isn't the final approach.  There are many situations
where you wouldn't want the overhead of two protocols on the client:
code size, complexity, number of sockets/ports, and bandwidth.
However, it is certainly possible to do this.

--
Joe Hildebrand