[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML-IM Conclusions

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Sep 1 21:52:36 UTC 2004

In article <4133B655.3090607 at pandion.be>,
 Sebastiaan Deckers <cbas at pandion.be> wrote:

> I do not oppose adding the basic tables module to XHTML-IM because of
> implementation complexity.  And I find tables equally useful as lists.
> If only people stopped using tables for layout in their webpages.
> That's where it gets ugly.

Yes, but we know from the "Amazon example" that this is precisely what
people want to do! They want to send pretty IM messages in which tables
are used for layout, so that instead of having a boring text message you
have pretty nested tables laying everything out just so. This is how
people use HTML email, and you can bet this is what they want to do with
XHTML-IM. If you want structured data, why not just send x-data?

/psa