[Standards-JIG] JEP-45 MUC - "from" attribute in discussion history

Gaston Dombiak dombiak_gaston at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:46:15 UTC 2004

Last part of section 6.3.12 says:
"...The 'from' attribute SHOULD be the JID of the original sender in
non-anonymous rooms, but MUST NOT be in semi-anonymous rooms (the 'from'
attribute SHOULD be set to the room JID in semi-anonymous rooms)."

My first question is which JID should be sent in non-anonymous rooms? Bare
JID or Full JID? I assume that it's bare JIDs.

My second and last question is why making this difference between semi and
non-anonymous rooms? I think that we could always send room JIDs as if those
messages were regular groupchat messages thus simplifying the task on the
clients. The included stamp should be enough to realize that it's an old
message. Other idea could be to check if the sender of an historic message
is still an occupant of the room. We could send the room JID if the sender
is still an occupant or just the Bare JID is the occupant just left the
room.

Regards,

  -- Gato