[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0071 XHTML-IM lack of scope

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Thu Sep 2 10:30:33 UTC 2004

> I think this dicussion is totally beside the actual intention. The
> difference
> between the use of XHTML in Jabber and on the web is that on the web
> the total
> misuse of the elements is due to the fact that people edit XHTML
> themselves or
> have it generated by brain-dead software.

You're right, and I allowed myself to get caught up in the conversation
by accepting the premise that XHTML-IM should enforce 'proper markup,'
and that it was thus worth debating whether <strong/> and <em/> were
appropriate markup.  Mea culpa. :)

> So I imagine a button Bold that generates <b></b> or the CSS
> equivalent. And
> so on. Maybe we shouldn't even use <em/>, but that depends on the user
> interface. It could have a button that says 'Emphasize' instead. But
> then
> I wouldn't also show 'Bold' and 'Italics'.

I guess this is what it all boils down to, at least from my viewpoint;
does the 'bold' button generate text wrapped in <strong/>, or does it
generate text wrapped in <span style='font-weight: bold'/>?  And if the
latter, should we perhaps rethink having font-style and font-weight as
RECOMMENDED and move them to MUST, and change the JEP samples
accordingly?  I know my decision to generate <strong/> and <em/> to
represent bold and italic formatting on outgoing text was heavily
influenced by the fact that the JEP examples all use <strong/> for
their bolding and <em/> for their italics.

I put this in terms of 'Bold' and 'Italics' because your average IM end
user is going to expect 'Bold,' 'Underline,' and 'Italics' formatting
buttons, not, say, 'Strong' or 'Emphasis' buttons.

--
Rachel 'Sparks' Blackman -- sysadmin, developer, mad scientist
"If it is not broken, give me five minutes to redesign it!"