[Standards-JIG] XHTML-IM Conclusions

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 10:16:42 UTC 2004

Hi Rob,

Rob wrote:
> Lets take it back a step, and just think about a _protocol_ for
> IM+basic styles... And its not tied to any particular technology.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this thread Rob. It _is_ a good
idea to take a step back sometimes.

While it is true that as soon as we use an externally defined namespace we
loose some control, IMHO the arguments for adopting CSS/XHTML are good ones:

- Borrowing work from existing open standards is good when appropriate.
- CSS is a very good, familiar and simple styling standard.
- XHTML is a familiar way of binding CSS to text (it also offers a few
useful extras - like links and inline images).
- My proposed minimal subset of CSS/XHTML is almost as simple as any
protocol we might design ourselves.
- Many client developers are familiar with CSS/XHTML and have access to
libraries that can render it.
- CSS/XHTML may be used in future JEPs

Here is your example using xhtml-im:

  <message to='foo' from='bar'>
      Be bold!
      Wear a false limb!
        Be <span style='font-weight:bold'>bold</span>!
        Wear a <span style='color:red'>false limb</span>!
  </message>

>   <message to='foo' from='bar'>
>       Be bold!
>       Wear a false limb!
>       Be <style type='bold'>bold</style>!
>       Wear a <style type='color/red'>false limb</style>!
>   </message>

- Ian

P.S. Congratulations for managing to 'do your own thing'. It's not easy, but
it's what we're all here for. :)