[Standards-JIG] NEW: JEP-0142 (Workgroups)

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Sat Sep 4 17:59:08 UTC 2004

Hey all,

A few comments on this .1 version of the JEP as one of the JEP
authors... Richard Dobson had two suggestions for this JEP while it was
in the JEP "inbox":

 1) Use directed presence instead of IQ for joining a workgroup.
 2) Use workgroup at example.com/agent for sending agent presence instead
of sub-packets for presence as in the current JEP.

I did a fair amount of work exploring #1. Unfortunately, the idea just
doesn't work out very well, mainly due to the awkwardness of using
presence to send data forms back and forth. So, after discussing with
PSA we decided to keep IQ for now. This can certainly be revisted if
it's possible to find a way to mix presence and IQ elements elegantly
together. I haven't had a chance to work on #2 yet, but it will be
addressed in an upcoming version of the JEP.

We're nearing release of an open source client-side library (as an
extension to Smack -- http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack) that
provides support for this JEP. I'll post an update when it's out.

Thanks,
Matt