[Standards-JIG] Re: Proposal for a solution to transport rosters

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sun Sep 5 10:10:33 UTC 2004

On Sunday 05 September 2004 2:39 am, maqi at jabberstudio.org wrote:
> Neither roster management nor presence nor presence/roster integration is
> nicely done in XMPP. Otherwise, these problems wouldn't even exist.
> Nevertheless, I hope nobody suggests to retract XMPP.

It seems fine to me, but this is offtopic.  XMPP-IM was not written with the
intent for it to be replaced.

> I'm not sure this needs to "bypass JSF standards". In case the additional
> tag isn't in violation of XMPP-IM (I'm not sure it is), it should be
> possible to submit an informational JEP?

Provided the tag is namespaced, of course it's not a violation.  You can add
any element into a presence stanza.

Even if you want to go the Informational JEP route, I still think modifying
the server would be worthwhile.  Just give a patch to Matthias, and release
jabberd 1.4.4.  It shouldn't be that difficult.

-Justin