[Standards-JIG] Proposal for JEP-0054 update.. include SIP inTEL type

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at erlang-fr.org
Wed Sep 8 10:33:36 UTC 2004

Richard Dobson wrote:
>> To my own point of view, this is a very good idea. SIP is also used in
>> France and SIP ID is a good information to track on a vCard.
>>
>> An alternative to your proposal would be to use the phone field using
>> URI-like typing. For example something like:
>> phone://+3310403030102
>> sip://sipid@server.net
>>
>> But I think it might be better in the long term to make the vCard evolve.
>

> Is there already an element defined in the standard vCard spec for SIP
> contact details? Since the main purpose of the Jabber XML vCards is to
> just provide an XML representation of normal vCards it would be good to
> re-use something that has already been defined.

It does not include the SIP field (See
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt) The TYPE attribute of the telephone
number does not seem to take SIP into account.

So surprisingly, vCard standard, in version 3 does not seem to take VoIP
into account.
I think you are right however that if a change is needed, it should be
made on the vCard standard.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/