[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-45 MUC - joining a room from different clientresources

Gaston Dombiak dombiak_gaston at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 20:35:18 UTC 2004

Hey David,

My question was based on a situation where for instance we have a user:
johndoe at company.com
with two connections johndoe at company.com/Home and johndoe at company.com/Work.

Using the first connection (johndoe at company.com/Home) the user joins a room
as johnHome (room at conference.company.com/johnHome) and using the second
connection (johndoe at company.com/Work) the user joins the same room as
johnWork (room at conference.company.com/johnWork).

Changing the role for these two occupants is simple since the all the
modifications are based on the full JID or the nickname. However, changing
the affiliation is based on the user's bare JID. So my question is what
should be the correct behavior when we want to change the affiliation of
johndoe at company.com? IMO, all the occupants of the same user must be
affected. This means that the AFFILIATIONS (and possibly ROLES) of
room at conference.company.com/johnHome and
room at conference.company.com/johnWork are going to be affected when I change
the affiliation of johndoe at company.com. Is this correct?

BTW, what should be the correct behavior if a user tries to join a room
where he/she is already an occupant using the same nick but from a different
resource? According to section 6.3.10 we should return an error specifying a
"Conflict" error condition.

Thanks,

  -- Gato

news:413F26D9.5020607 at dsutton.legend.uk.com...