[Standards-JIG] Re: Summary of roster proposal points

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Sep 8 21:34:04 UTC 2004

> 1) Transport disco's the user's client (the transport should have
> received presence from the user in question so it can do this).
>
> 2A) If that client supports -93, the transport sends a JEP-93 packet
> containing all of the users.  Goto (3).
>
> 2B) If the client does not support -93, send a message to the user
> telling them to get a better client :) Honestly, -93 is a big feature
> that many client authors often over-look and it's darn simple to
> implement. This could be the use-case that forces client authors to
> imlpement this jep more widely.
>
> 3) Use Case Ends.
>
> This doesn't take into account synchronizing jabber & remote-IM
> rosters, but are we trying to solve that problem, or just the initial
> import problem?

I was under the impression the discussion was trying to solve the
synchronizing problem.  That said, I don't entirely believe that -93
solves the initial import problem either, though it could with minor
changes. :)

As I recall, -93 doesn't support any particular logic on whether or not
to display an 'add user to roster' request.  I know I would go slightly
nuts if I were forced to approve all, urm, 190 or so AIM contacts I
have on my combined AIM rosters... but if a roster contact is sent in a
message from another user, it probably should have an approval
dialogue.

I'd argue the behavior needs to be better defined before -93 is a full
solution for even just initial roster import.

--
Rachel 'Sparks' Blackman -- sysadmin, developer, mad scientist
"If it is not broken, give me five minutes to redesign it!"