[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0054 vcard email definition is inconsistent

trejkaz at xaoza.net trejkaz at xaoza.net
Tue Sep 14 03:59:36 UTC 2004

At Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 11:12:53AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
[snip snip snip]
> So while it would be good for us to at least make the DTD
> consistent with the examples in JEP-0054, making vcard-temp consistent
> with either the Dawson drafts or RFC 2426 is a lost cause. It's time to
> do something new and better.

I like the way you think.  vCard has been a pain, mostly because we had to deal with
translating between the text representation, which was extensible in itself, and the XML
representation, which if you followed the JEP, wasn't really extensible.  As a result,
custom things which appeared in the text representation couldn't get transferred across,
or at best would have needed to be improvised (read: 'implemented in an incompatible
fashion.')

As an aside, I feel that it would have been advantageous to transport the vCard as flat
text in the first place, because the way it is now, integration with any other app which
handles vCards is a lost cause... or at least, a bunch of lost data.  With flat text, the
lump of vCard gets picked up from another program as-is, sent to other programs as-is,
and the only person who suffers is the person who writes a UI to display it.

I notice that 123 and 125 were both retracted, and I gather there is no replacement yet.

As one of my interests which I would be gathering various data like this for is FOAF,
perhaps it makes sense to pull something like that in, as long as RDF stays the hell out.
:-)

But does something like FOAF have enough data for what we need?

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' - Arthur C Clarke
'Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology' - Tom Graves

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at jabber.xaoza.net