[Standards-JIG] XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 16:56:57 UTC 2004

> > > - Clients may decide to avoid downloading
> > >   very large images.

> What a load of rubbish.  Anyone can say width="1"
> height="1" on the tag for a 1MB image file... it
> doesn't make the file any smaller at all. ;-)

In the vast majority of cases the width and height attributes would be a
very good _guide_ to the _approximate_ size of the file (accuracy would not
be critical). However, as you have pointed out so offensively, the width and
height properties will be open to abuse by malicious clients.

Byron's arguments have convinced me that we should keep <br/> and continue
to recommend (but not require) image width/height.

It seems we do have an early consensus to remove <div/> and delete Business
Rule 7 (use <br/> and   instead of preserving whitespace).

- Ian