[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Sep 22 19:35:38 UTC 2004

>>> ...the JEP is meant to address the styling of rapid-fire IM, not
>>> the authoring of documents (which will be covered by another JEP or
>>> XHTML
>>> profile).

>> ;)
>
> Heh. So I take it that means you are in favor of the following:

Well, the (somewhat emphatic) +1 was actually to the general sentiment
that this is for IM styling, not document layout authoring. :)

That said...

> 1. Removing <div/>

Correct.  I don't think we need <div/>

> 2. Saying that nesting of block elements is NOT RECOMMENDED

Again, correct, I don't think we need nested block elements.  These are
IM messages, not documents. :)

> And what is your position on whitespace handling?

I actually think we should preserve it, admittedly.  I think it makes
it easier to preserve both spacing /and/ wordwrapping, because if you
make it that any more-than-one-space spacing needs to be turned into
nonbreaking spaces, you can potentially mess up wordwrap.  (And yes, I
do realize you'd just leave one of the spaces in the set a normal one.
Still...)

However, I don't feel strongly enough on that one to fight the battle,
so can accept either way.  Especially as I'm sure everyone's getting
really sick of my lengthy replies on the XHTML discussion. ;)

--
Rachel 'Sparks' Blackman -- sysadmin, developer, mad scientist
"If it is not broken, give me five minutes to redesign it!"