[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu Sep 23 04:30:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:49:59 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>
wrote:

> In article <94CC4648-0CCE-11D9-813A-000A958F753E at ceruleanstudios.com>,
>  Rachel Blackman <rcb at ceruleanstudios.com> wrote:
>
>> Correct.  I don't think we need <div/>
>
> http://www.jabber.org/~stpeter/div.html shows some interesting results
> in 2 of the 3 browsers I have on my current machine, which might lead
> one to believe that <div/> may be advisable. But I'm not an XHTML + CSS
> guru, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Opera 7.54 and (yike) IE6 render both examples the same. Firefox doesn't.
Padding is supposed to be done relative to the closest element so it seems
to me the gecko engine is the problem here. What did you test with besides
these browsers? Safari/KHTML?

This seems to be a related mozilla bug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=50463&action=view