[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Sep 23 15:23:10 UTC 2004

In article <4152654A.90906 at apnic.net>, Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>
wrote:

> Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> > This seems to be a related mozilla bug:
> > https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=50463&action=view
>
> Not necessarily.  There's some bad markup. "padding-left: 100" is
> meaningless, there is no unit given.  In the table, the requested width
> of the first column is "100," again with no units, and the second cell
> has no requested width, which is probably causing that "padding-left:
> 25%" to be taking 25% of zero, which may or may not be a bug, I'd have
> to read the CSS box model spec closely to be sure.
>
> Either way, it's not a bug in Gecko that is causing the apparently
> incorrect rendering.  It's a faulty assumption about how lists are
> rendered that's causing unexpected but correct results.  See my other
> post. :)

Rendering by browsers aside (I tested with Firefox, Safari, and IE), the
question remains: do we or do we not include <div/> in our recommended
profile? It seems that some browsers incorrectly render the examples I
marked up (I've been somewhat depending on browsers to correctly render
the XHTML+CSS1 examples in the JEP), but that should not affect what we
recommend.

Also, some of the existing examples in JEP-0071 contain nested elements,
so those examples presumably need to change. I will try to do that today
and publish a new version of the JEP.

I'd like to finish up this discussion so the Council can complete its
voting (the Last Call ended 2 weeks ago).

Thanks.

/psa