[Standards-JIG] XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 16:23:38 UTC 2004

> users will start sending messages with text bodies like "Your
> client can't read XHTML messages... get a better Jabber client!"

Nobody is talking about depricating the plain text <body/> element. <html/>
is the optional element.

> Couldn't we have gone down a road
> like Rob suggested and used a simpler markup?

> This is cool!</bodY>

Your 'bogus' markup is no more simple (programmatically or lexically) than
XHTML/CSS markup. Compare the two:

> So why XHTML, again?

- it is a familiar widely adopted standard
- most implementers can take advantage of one of several existing renderers
- it is extensible
- ...

You also argued that the JEP should only allow a single paragraph. For now
at least, that is all most clients will _generate_ (they may be able to
_render_ the full recommended XHTML-IM profile).

However, some users already prefer to use IM instead of email. This group
will grow in the future. I believe the current Recommended subset of
XHTML/CSS (with no block nesting) offers a very good balance between
implementation simplicity, and giving users a minimum set of tools to style
a structured _message_ (as opposed to produce a structured _document_).