[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Fri Sep 24 00:11:34 UTC 2004

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Byron, this style sheet works well in all browsers if we use padding-left.
> What if XHTML-IM recommends margin-left instead? Which default style rule
> would be appropriate?

If the XHTML-IM suggested the use of margin-left, and you wanted to be
able to specify a left margin meaningfully on lists, you should probably
include the following in the default style sheet:

ol, ul {
     padding-left: 40px;
     margin-left: 0;
     -moz-padding-start: 0;
}

(Set the default padding to 40px, set the default margin to 0 to allow
non-destructive override, and turn off Gecko's padding-start behaviour,
for CSS parsers which recognise this property.  A nice part of CSS is
that parsers which do not recognise the property will simply discard it.)

--
bje