[Standards-JIG] from attribute on initial stream header

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Mon Sep 27 20:03:50 UTC 2004

Hi!

On http://www.jabber.org/wiki/index.php/xmppimp there is the following
suggestion:
"The originating server really really should include a 'to' address on
the initial stream header that it sends to another server (this makes
life happier for all concerned, especially in a world with lots of
virtual hosts and subdomains). In addition, it is probably a good idea
for the originating server to include the 'from' address as well on the
initial stream header."

... while XMPP core says:

"from -- The 'from' attribute SHOULD be used only in the XML stream
header from the receiving entity to the initiating entity, and MUST be
set to a hostname serviced by the receiving entity that is granting
access to the initiating entity. There SHOULD NOT be a 'from' attribute
on the XML stream header sent from the initiating entity to the
receiving entity; however, if a 'from' attribute is included, it SHOULD
be silently ignored by the receiving entity."

What should really be done?

Sending the "from" attribute might be good in case, that the receiving
server knows that some other server has problems with one of the
features the receiving server implements and it might not advertize
support for this feature then. But I feed bad implementing something for
that an internet standards says that I SHOULD NOT implement it.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Fon: +49-(0)70 0770 07770       http://web.amessage.info