[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 27 23:03:07 UTC 2004

In article <41589491.5000809 at apnic.net>, Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>
wrote:

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> >>ol, ul {
> >>     padding-left: 40px;
> >>     margin-left: 0;
> >>     -moz-padding-start: 0;
> >>}
> > To me, this says we're recommending support for both 'margin-left' and
> > 'padding-left'. Is that accurate?
>
> Not entirely, no.  The JEP recommends that the style "padding-left"
> should be interpreted and used.

My question is: is margin-left a better property to recommend? For
example, as Ian said, combining margin-left with background-color yields
a potentially nice way to include text that someone else wrote (yes,
this shades awfully close to <blockquote/>) or otherwise set off some
text, and I have definitely seen this kind of thing being generated by
some clients.

> The JEP also, if you included a default
> stylesheet, recommends that the visual style should appear as an
> XHTML+CSS page would when given the XHTML-IM default stylesheet as its
> stylesheet.

That sentence was hard to parse, but yes. I'd be happy to add a default
suggested stylesheet to the JEP if we develop one over the next X months.

> In other words, clients do not have to implement the
> "margin-left" property, they SHOULD render items with no left margin,
> whether that's by telling their XHTML+CSS render engine to set
> "margin-left: 0" or by not doing anything at all.

OK. But I still have the question about margin-left vs. padding-left.

Let's settle this so that (1) I can publish version 0.19 of this JEP,
(2) Peter Millard can complete Council voting, (3) we can get some
implementation experience and write up the suggested stylesheet, and (4)
we can move on with our lives. :-)

/psa