[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Sep 27 23:13:15 UTC 2004

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> In article <41589491.5000809 at apnic.net>, Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>
> wrote:
> My question is: is margin-left a better property to recommend? For
> example, as Ian said, combining margin-left with background-color yields
> a potentially nice way to include text that someone else wrote (yes,
> this shades awfully close to <blockquote/>) or otherwise set off some
> text, and I have definitely seen this kind of thing being generated by
> some clients.

 From a personal point of view, I think I'd rather see the background
colour only apply to the region in question, not its offset also.  This
would suggest that margin-left is the property I want, and "ol, ul
{-moz-padding-start: 0; margin-left: 0; padding-left: 40px;}" is the
recommended default stylesheet entry to go with that.

>>The JEP also, if you included a default
>>stylesheet, recommends that the visual style should appear as an
>>XHTML+CSS page would when given the XHTML-IM default stylesheet as its
>>stylesheet.
> That sentence was hard to parse, but yes. I'd be happy to add a default
> suggested stylesheet to the JEP if we develop one over the next X months.

I'm not sure I can parse it well myself.  That's the trouble with
writing email before 9am :)  Looks like you interpreted it as intended.

--
bje