[Standards-JIG] JEP-0131: name collisions and date formats

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:45:45 UTC 2005

Hm.  I don't mind this.

However, as stpeter predicted, someone (me in this case) is going to
suggest that we use URIs.  I think Jacek's idea makes it so that the
URI's don't have to be on every field, though.

<headers xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/shim'
profile='http://jabber.org/protocol/shim#rfc822'>
   <header name='To'>Jabber protocol discussion list
<standards-jig at jabber.org></header>
   <header name='Subject'>Re: [Standards-JIG] JEP-0131: name
collisions and date formats</header>
   <header name='Date'>Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:07:30 +0200</header>
</headers>

That way others can safely add new header profiles.  If we could go
way back in time, and know that we needed JEP-68 when we did JEP-4,
something like this would have been a cool way of doing form types.

On 8/1/05, Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at bnet.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:51:15PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > I realized that it is possible for name collisions to occur in SHIM.
>
> [...]
>
> > 1. Define the SHIM "Date" [...]
>
> > 2. Define the SHIM "DateTime" [...]
>
> > 4. Define the SHIM "RFC2822Date" [...]
>
> Wasn't SHIM supposed to be used to attach "internet headers" (from
> e-mail, HTTP document, etc.) as-they-are? IMHO adding special cases,
> which have to be translated breaks the protocol. What if we find another
> collision in future? Does any SHIM implementation, whatever it is used
> for, need to know all the special cases?
>
> IMHO it would be much better to create SHIM profiles and declare the
> profile with the header set. When profile is "rfc822", then RFC 822
> rules apply, etc. Multiple SHIM elements with different profiles could
> be added to one stanza then. And we could use just "to", "from", etc.
> header names for XMPP-headers then too, but I guess it is to late for
> this change.
>
> Example:
>
>    <headers xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/shim' profile='rfc822'>
>      <header name='To'>Jabber protocol discussion list <standards-jig at jabber.org></header>
>      <header name='Subject'>Re: [Standards-JIG] JEP-0131: name collisions and date formats</header>
>      <header name='Date'>Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:07:30 +0200</header>
>    </headers>
>
> Greets,
>         Jacek

Joe Hildebrand