[Standards-JIG] What happened to the ACK proposal?

Gaston Dombiak gaston at jivesoftware.com
Sat Aug 13 01:16:15 UTC 2005

Hey guys,

I noticed that under certain circumstances Java is not able to detect that a
connection was closed. In particular, this problem happens when a
router/firewall/NAT is involved in the connection. This problem is affecting
us when using s2s communications but in fact it may happen between server
and clients too. The source of the problem is that the TCP layer is not
throwing an exception even if the server writes data to the socket or is
waiting to read from the socket. Therefore, the Java virtual machine is not
able to detect the dead connection until lots of data was written to the
socket thus making the TCP layer to finally throw the exception. I'm not
sure if this problem affects other programming languages but anyway I was
wondering why the ACK JEP proposal was rejected. Or  how are other servers
(besides Jive Messenger) dealing with this problem.

Regards,

  -- Gato