[Standards-JIG] Boolean Attributes in XML (xs:boolean)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 18 17:31:27 UTC 2005

Nolan Eakins wrote:
> It was pointed out to me that my implementation of bookmark storage for
> Psi was wrong since I was using "true" and "false" for the autojoin
> attribute. A similiar "problem" was found with Psi's dataforms when I
> was working on room configuration for MUC with mu-conference. Looking at
> the W3C's XML Schema spec this apparently is /not/ a problem [1].

I suppose it is too much to ask for developers to read XML Schema Part 2
(Datatypes), eh?

>     * Examples in JEPs typically only show "0" or "1" for boolean
> attributes causing implementors to only support "0" and "1".

There are four JEPs that use xs:boolean:

JEP-0004: Data Forms
JEP-0009: Jabber-RPC
JEP-0048: Bookmark Storage
JEP-0124: HTTP Binding

I'll add some instances of true and false to the examples there, and/or
add a note about the allowable lexical representations of the xs:boolean
datatype.

Jabber Software Foundation