[Standards-JIG] Atom over XMPP?

David Chisnall theraven at sucs.org
Mon Aug 22 19:17:22 UTC 2005

Is anyone working on a standard for sending Atom (or RSS, although
Atom would be easier since it is XML, while RSS is kind-of-XML-like-
in-a-bad-light) over XMPP?  I would envisage two server side
components and a client; a publisher, an aggregator and a viewer,
with the following usage:

A user subscribes to a feed via an aggregator.
The content creator sends their articles to a publisher.
Each aggregator is sent a copy of the Atom article and relays it to
clients subscribed to the feed (possibly applying some keyword matching)
The client displays the article.

I can see this being a very good use for XMPP.  Current Atom / RSS
feeds use up insane amounts of bandwidth compared to the amount of
information transmitted because:

  - clients have to poll to see if there are any updates.
  - clients have to download an entire feed to get one new article
  - clients have to get the feed from the server (or if they are very
lucky from a proxy) every time it is updated

This proposal addresses all of these issues (no polling, only sending
updates, data relayed via aggregator - number of aggregators <=
number of clients).

Comments?  Criticisms?  Insults?