[Standards-JIG] HTTP Binding autodiscovery

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Wed Aug 24 14:06:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:43, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> 2005/8/24, Trejkaz <trejkaz at trypticon.org>:
> > I have to admit, this was brought to my attention by Google Talk, which
> > tries connecting via HTTP after (I assume) failing to connect through
> > TCP. Talk would have no trouble finding the HTTP binding agent, of
> > course, since it's probably hard-coded into the application.
>
> Not exactly. They just listen for XMPP on port 80.
> Check my findings at: http://smoku.jogger.pl/comment.php?eid=142564

They might be doing more than that.  If it were purely XMPP over port 80, our
transparent proxy at work wouldn't know which host the connection is to
(making the assumption here that our transparent proxy can't parse XMPP to
figure out which host it's supposed to go to. :-))

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/